July 25, 2010

Another LLL Co-Founder Resigns

Marian Tompson at the MA/RI/VT La Leche League (LLL) Conference. This was the light ceremony that Marian helped to recognize all the new LLL Leaders. It was even more exciting because I was one of the new leader recognized. It sounded like things were not heading backwards and she was really strong but unfortunately she could not handle anymore. It makes me very sad!! :( I believe she as good reason to resign, not that she needs my approval, especially as a co-Founder of an organization that is going a different direction than she planned! Marian, I'm glad you are being true to yourself! Below is the letter stating her reasons for resigning.

July 25th 2010

Dear LLLeaders and friends of La Leche League.

This is a letter I never expected to write.

After 54 years in LLLI, an organization I co-founded and have represented at meetings around the world, I find myself unable to continue to support the new version of LLL that has been put in motion by the Board of Directors and Executive Management.

So today, with sadness, I am resigning as an LLLeader. We each have to be true to ourselves and I cannot in good conscience support the organization that La Leche League has become.
But I am not calling for others to follow me in resigning.

You may find that being an LLL Leader still works for you. You may feel appreciated and respected. Perhaps your questions are being answered and you are provided with the tools needed to do your job. If you do not have to deal with power struggles or the confusion about assessment fees, liability and agreements, then there is reason to stay on. If being part of LLL brings joy to your life then by all means, don't leave.

For there is no other organization, at this point in time, that provides the unique and inspirational support to breastfeeding mothers and their families that LLL does. How many times have we been thanked for changing people’s lives?

There is no other system offering breastfeeding support that has worked so closely with the medical profession from the beginning to ensure the scientific basis of what we teach. We couldn’t have done this without the the generous help of the Professional Advisory Board and the Health Advisory Council. Unfortunately, the continuation of this working relationship with the medical community is currently in jeopardy.

I’ve done everything I can to help the LLLI BOD understand the peril LLL is in under the current management and because of the way the reorganization from Chaordic to Renewal to Distributive has been handled. The latest term used, “Distributive,” is particularly ironic given that so many of the changes in LLLI now either come from the Executive Management or have to be approved by them.

The board’s dismissal of the concerns of Leaders as documented in the Leader Satisfaction Survey made it clear that the board and management were intent on plunging ahead with their plans no matter how many valuable and generous Leaders they lost and no matter how the reorganization impacted the growth and influence of LLL and the morale of so many
I’ve missed seeing you at our International Conferences. As other Leaders have said, I will be happy to return when and if LLLI returns to the principles on which it was founded and the mission it should serve. There have been some very good suggestions on how to bring this about in the letters of resignation recently sent to the Board by other leaders.

In the meantime I wish there was some way to thank each of you in person for making our dream come true. The world is a happier and healthier place because of you and La Leche League has enjoyed a stellar reputation because of your commitment.

Thanks to you and because of you, we’ve made great strides in the past 54 years toward our mission to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother to mother support, encouragement, information and education and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother.

My love to all,

Marian

“When you don’t follow your nature there is a hole in the universe where you were supposed to be.” Dane Rudhyar

My permission is given to forward or post this email in the LLL community.

1 comment:

Campbell Nana said...

Myself and my husband had been trying to get pregnant for 18 months before I was referred to Priest Babaka fertility solution. We had no definite diagnosis of what was wrong and had become very frustrated. In November 2017 I was given a thorough reproductive health work up, I found out I had low progesterone, thyroid issues and a stomach issue which was affecting my ability to get pregnant. This was a very thorough process involving dietary, hormonal and physical investigations and started the recommended treatments in Feb 16 2018 by Priest Babaka. I was pregnant by April 17. I had a baby boy in march 2019. I was carefully monitored and Priest Babaka was always available for me. I can recommend Priest Babaka more highly so much so we are hoping to start trying for a second baby under his guidance. email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka